White wall width appears to be 3 1/4”.
Tire supplier was officially Goodyear, 6.70x15À À Super Cushion.
Deluxe’s used 6.40x15" but as these tires are NOT available, there probably should not be a deduction for use of the 6.70x15" tire).
The serial no. tag is on left front door pillar.
Station wagons were painted ONLY Malibu Brown, Edmonton Beige or Rio Maroon.
Electric clock was available for this year.
Two styles of radio were available - the Deluxe (model 803, 8 tube, 7 pushbutton Philco) and the model (603, 6 tube,
5 pushbutton Motorola) fits right in with the trim on the dashboard. Both fit the Special Deluxe grille identically.
Can have different types of outside rear view mirrors, one with spotlight on front and one without.
Turn signals were a factory option in 1949.
Heaters - there were 3 models available, models 100, 300 and 550.
Some other not so common accessories include the spark plug waterproofing kit (Ever-dry cover kit), and the
emergency brake indicator light on the dash.
No carpeting was used in 1949. Rubber in both back and front, front has rib pattern.
Brake light should be in the center trunk light unless required by state law to be in the small taillights. “Bulls eye”
sealed beams are original equipment in 1949. 1949 marked the beginning of Chrysler’s use of Bulls-Eye headlamps.
Engine wiring is black and is cloth, not plastic covered in 1949. Rubber covered spark plug connectors if Ever-dry kit is installed (accessory kit). Engine color silver, oil pan possibly gray.
Vehicle identification plate (on LF A Pillar) may be re-located to install part #1300960 - Courtesy light unit.
Due to a shortage at the factory, some cars MAY have not been fitted with rear fender stone shields. These were
supposed to have been retrofitted by the dealers on all cars but a car without should not be penalized.
Heater, three options available & universal MOPAR under dash unit.
Lighter optional on all models.
Radio rear speaker option, body is punched for speaker in center of parcel tray behind the rear seat. Radio grille
standard on SPL DLX, optional on others.
Wheel covers generally red circle with sailboat but some carry over from 1949 - optional on all models.
Internal Trim & Instruments
Parking brake handle same color as steering column, warning light optional.
Keys are aluminum with DPCD logo.
Bulls-Eye headlamps continued to be used and were used THRU 1955.
External Bright Work
Antenna - proper location is LEFT FRONT FENDER, behind inner fender panel and should telescope down to about 1"
Battery ground lead fastens to special head bolt usually second from front.
Distributor - I.A.T. (small cap) used from mid-year.
Fan Belt - Early cars still used 3/4" wide fan belts, later cars used 3/8" belts.
Engine color - aluminum (silver) including bell housing, trans., & fan pulley. Black accessories & fan blades. Oil tube
is silver, black cap. Intake manifold is silver, exhaust unpainted.
Oil Filter -replaceable element type optional on all models, canister type standard on SPL DLX.
Overdrive not available until June 1952 but dealers would retro-fit.
Stromberg carbs are used on DODGE, never on Plymouth.